By Sarah Sewell
Setting yourself up for Success:
Are you setting the scene for success? I believe the fact that you are here reading this blog means YES you are ready to take your craft business to the next level. Success can look different to different people. What matters is what you think success would look like to you. You may want to earn 6 or 7 figures a year selling your work, you may only want a side hustle to supplement your spouse’s income, whatever your reason for wanting to grow your business it absolutely is and should be an exciting endeavor.
Doing what you love and earning a living from it is an amazing feeling. My personal idea of success is simply having financial freedom and living my best life. This may be your idea too! The feeling of supporting yourself from something that you made or designed is a feeling that is hard to beat! I am here to tell you that this IS possible! I earned just under 7 figures in my handmade business before growing into my current career now. In my Flourish Craft Business Community we have a few hundred members living that dream now and still wanting to grow further. It is not only possible but probable if you believe that it can happen for you, but you must have a vision of success formed in your mind in order to adjust your sails to take you there.
My members in the Flourish community are more than likely not all AMAZE-BALLS at business, or sales or entrepreneurship. They ARE however great at their craft or have honed a skill that has enabled them to be a creator, maker, artist and designer. This is what usually creates doubt in the minds of creatives, they see themselves as hobbyists and NOT as business owners. They know they are great at what they make but usually feel they fall short in business. I have something to share about this… You DON’T have to be an expert in business in order to find success. What you do need is a belief in yourself and a belief in your craft. If you have a desire to make and a desire to sell what you make you are already half there.
Let’s go over some tips and tricks to set yourself up for success:
- Goal Setting: Set up some clear objectives. You don’t need to know the end game or even what that would look like. Start simple and small if you like. Ask yourself questions like how much money you would like to earn in your first year? What online marketplaces would you like to see your goods sold on? What products will you create for the holiday seasons? If you are more of a seasoned seller already perhaps you can ask yourself bigger questions like am I ready to build my own website? Is wholesale right for my business? Etc etc…. having some clear objectives can help get you headed towards your path of success.
- Create a Space to Flourish: Many makers craft or create from their dining room table, or even the living room couch! I am not here to judge as many successful craftpreneurs also started this way and now have multiple warehouses they are utilizing for their business. START where you are, but spend some time thinking how you can maximize your creativity within this space. Fill your surrounding with inspiring things. Make use of the space you have to work with and get organized. Creativity thrives in spaces that feel good. Take some time to clean out, repurpose and organize the space you have to work in. You will find when this is done the creative juices will be flowing!
- Get Inspired. It’s hard to find success when you don’t have a dream or the excitement to get to that dream. Inspiration and Excitement is the heart and soul of a creative business. If you are feeling down, (which happens to us all sometimes) get out of the house, let the sun shine on your face, breathe in some fresh air, listen to feel good music, take some classes, go to a museum, spend some time on Pinterest whatever it takes….find some inspiration and stick with it! Creating a vision board is a great way to stay inspired. Pin visuals of your goals & dreams to this board and look at them daily! This will help you stay focused on your dreams and inspirations.
- Improve your social connections. You have probably heard the saying that you are the average of the 5 people you surround yourself with, I am not sure if that is true, but I do know we are influenced by the people we surround ourselves with. Take an audit of the people around you and make sure you are spending your time with those that are encouraging, uplifting, positive and supportive. Sometimes we can’t get away from those who suck our energy but try your best to reduce face time with people that aren’t aligned with your ideas of growth and success. If the people we surround ourselves with influence our behaviors, then it makes the most sense if we want to have success to surround ourselves with those who are successful and those who believe that we too can succeed. This is a core value in my Flourish community, we are a network of artisans that empower and uplift one another. We believe that celebrating and sharing our wins enables others to know and believe that they can do it too!
- Be Flexible. It is important to be aware that life doesn’t always move us in a linear motion. Sometimes it’s a step forward and three steps back…. then 20 giant hops ahead only to stumble and lose 10. It is LIFE. The more flexible and fluid you can be the less you will be knocked down for any length of time. You must remember as a business there are seasons, there are slumps, there are highs and there are lows. If you have a growth mindset you will be prepared for this and will have a plan of action to work on something else when the slowdowns happen. Those who find it hard to succeed are usually those commiserating with others about why everything bad is happening to them. They play the victim and when they do this, they are giving away their control and power in owning their business. Successful business owners are in it for the long game. They know there is a natural ebb and flow to things, and they adjust as needed to move forward.
Starting a craft business is thrilling, the thought of supporting yourself on what you make IS incredibly freeing. I am here to say YOU CAN DO IT but you must ensure you are setting yourself up for success. Take action to move yourself in a forward motion direction, be flexible through the peaks and valleys and keep a growth mindset. Believe it, See it and Be it! You got this!