A gift guide is something you create to offer suggestions for those wanting to purchase a gift. They are super fun to curate and they don’t take a ton of time to put together. Consumers love visuals and gift guides are a quick way for them to see a collection of items relevant to their gift buying needs.
Studies show that during the holiday’s; emails containing gift guides are purchased from 50% more than any other email promotion. As much as shoppers still want to be in control of their shopping, they still very much appreciate and even look forward to recommendations. ESPECIALLY from brands they love and trust.
How to Get Started:
1. Pick a Theme or Topic for your Gift Guide. You want to keep your audience in mind. The whole point is to provide value and suggestions for your target market. Some examples may include:
- Gifts ideas $99 and under
- Unique Gift Ideas for Millennials
- Gifts that say I Love You for that special person in your life.
- Stocking Stuffers under $10 for the littles
- Gifts for the Manly Man in your life
- Eco-Friendly Gifts under $25
- Holiday gifts to make your teachers feel special.
2. Curate a Collection that fits your theme. It's totally ok to add your own products into this collection just be sure to omit any products that you have low stock in or items that might sell out quickly, you want the guide to be shoppable throughout the holiday season. It is key to ensure your items match or coordinate with the other products as well, the look and feel of the guide is what will determine its success.
You do NOT have to add only your product! Gift Guides are flexible! You can totally promote say a list of your favorite things! Let's say you have a handmade shop that offers handcrafted wands. Perhaps put together a gift guide titled "Gifts for your Wizarding Friends" and add in your wizard wands, but link to other products within the same theme like cloaks, crystal balls, spellbooks etc... You have freedom here to create what you love. You can add all your own products, add others products, or even work together with other friend shop owners and cross promote one another! As long as you add value to your target audiences lives during this busy season you won't lose!
3. Create your layout. You can use Graphic Design Tools like Canva or similar to help you curate your collection. The best 3 formats to use are:
- PDF that can be downloaded and shared
- WebPage that can be linked to
- Pinterest Board…. (my personal fave... and with Pinterest you can create a main gift guide with sub categories for multiple smaller niches).
Be sure to offer cute captions with the items. A quick title and price will make the viewers more likely to pin, share or purchase.
4. Share it & Promote it!
- Create a Social Media Graphic and share on your Social Platforms
- Create a FB ad for it to be boosted or promoted as an ad
- Create an Email Promotion around the Gift Guide
- Post it to your Websites
- BLOG BLOG BLOG about it!!! Even connect with other bloggers with similar target audiences to share with their followers.
- Share it in your Etsy Shops
- Create a link for it and add to your mailings that ship out
Be sure to get your gift guide up as early as possible, consumers are shopping early this year and have their credit card in hand! Also, if you offer customization or personalization you want to ensure you have enough time to create the orders in time for holiday delivery!
The point is to have fun and share the fun with others. Have fun curating and creating!